Header Image

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Aloha E Komo Mai


One of the biggest and most out of reach, or so I thought, things on my bucket list was to visit Hawaii. I always thought of Hawaii as a completely unobtainable goal, mostly because I knew it was expensive and I work a minimum wage job. But that's the magic of Google, you can be bored and searching random things and all of a sudden you find a golden opportunity. That's what happened when I searched 'Working with dolphins' and Google so fortuitously filled in 'In Hawaii'. One of the first websites that I clicked on proved to be my pot of gold, my life changing opportunity. I looked up their 'working vacation' program on the Big Island of Hawaii, in Kona. It was too good to be true, or so I thought. I applied for the program on a whim and within days had set up a Skype interview with the owner of the program. It turned out to be a company specializing in underwater photography and videography with Manta Ray night dives and Dolphin dives. And I got accepted.

Things moved quickly after that, I was leaving in just 2 short months. I needed to get Open Water Scuba Diver certified which I did through Dans Dive shop in my home town. I booked my flights and before I knew it, it was time to go. I had two layovers during my 15 hour flight time, in Chicago and Honolulu. Longest flight of my life, and it felt it. But then I was there, The Big Island of Hawaii.


I met another intern, Natasha, at the airport and she took me back to the house, a beautiful house up in the mountains over looking Kona. I was so excited and then BAM! Hello jet lag. I slept like a rock that night, let me tell you. 

I shared a house with my roommate Natasha and another awesome girl Brittany. I met another girl who worked for the company, Gina, and spent an awesome day down on Ali'i drive and going to see Kilauea, an active volcano on the island. I've never thought about going on a vacation by myself but i'm so glad I did or I'd never have met these amazing people.

I dove 4 times this trip with Big Island Divers and saw amazing coral, fish, Manta Rays, White tipped reef Sharks and swam with pilot whales! I learned how to surf and saw a Hawaiian waterfalls and my first ever volcano! It was the most amazing week of my life and it just shows what you can do when you put your mind to it.

I never thought something like this would be possible for a broke girl from Niagara, Ontario and my dreams came true. This trip showed me my passion in life; I want to see the world. There are so many things to see out there when you step outside your comfort zone and take a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment